How To Inspect Charlotte Homes For Sale as You Search
You know my recommendation is always to have a professional property inspection before a buyer Closes on a property. Wouldn’t it also be a good idea to discover a property’s problems even before you make an Offer? With some minor attention to detail, you can learn a lot about the condition of Charlotte homes for sale that you tour.
Here’s a pre-Offer, do-it-yourself property inspection checklist to get you started:
- Basement - A basement can give you information about the structure of a house, especially if the basement is unfinished. You’ll want to make sure there are no cracks, the electrical wiring is organized, and there is no evidence of water damage. If there isn’t a basement, examine the exposed foundation on the exterior of the house.
- Electric panel – Upon examination, it should look orderly and neat. If it is, that doesn’t mean you’re in the clear, but a disorganized panel can often be a sign of shoddy electrical work throughout the house.
- Faucets and fixtures – Is there hot water? Does the shower drip? Does the oven work? Does the toilet run? Not every problem is a major issue, but a plumbing evaluation will give you a good idea of how much care went into the property’s construction and maintenance.
- Attic - Not only should you be looking at available storage space, you’ll want to see how well insulated the attic space is. Insulation can make a huge difference in your monthly electric and gas bills.
- Roof - Missing shingles or interior water damage in Charlotte homes are signs of roof damage including aged roof (needs full replacement), damaged roof, dry rotted boots or a simple missing shingle.
- Windows - Make sure they all open and close properly and that you can’t find any drafts, gaps or condensation between the glass.
- Interior and exterior finishings – Check the baseboards and siding to see what shape they’re in. If the builders didn’t pay much attention to what you CAN see, imagine what the internal structure might look like.
Want to work with a professional real estate agent who can help you weed out badly-built or poorly-maintained Charlotte homes for sale before you make an offer? Give me a call today at (704) 491-3310 or email me at Debe@DebeMaxwell.com – We can help.